Call for Proposals
2023 AAS Annual Conference
Virtual: February 17-18
Boston, MA: March 16-19
On behalf of the Program Committee for the Association for Asian Studies, I am pleased to issue the Call for Proposals for the AAS 2023 Annual Conference to be held March 16-19, 2023 in Boston, Massachusetts at the Hynes Convention Center and the Boston Sheraton Hotel.
The AAS will additionally hold a VIRTUAL component to the annual conference on February 17-18, 2023. All sessions accepted for virtual presentations will be take place only during the virtual component in February.
We are pleased to invite colleagues in Asian studies to submit proposals for Organized Panels, Roundtables, Workshops, and Individual Paper sessions. The program committee seeks sessions that will advance knowledge about Asian regions and, by extension, will enrich teaching about Asia at all levels. Membership in AAS is not required to submit a proposal nor to present at the conference.
Please see the three-step guide below to start your submission process. The deadline for submission of all proposals and the International Exchange Travel Grants requests is Tuesday, August 9, 2022 at 5:00 pm EASTERN Time. All proposals must be submitted electronically via the AAS electronic submission application. We will not accept proposals submitted via email. The proposal submission application will be available beginning Thursday, June 30 through Tuesday, August 9, 2022. Detailed instructions for completing the application can be found in the right-hand column of this screen.
We look forward to an exciting and intellectually stimulating conference in Boston.
Senior Advisor, Henry Luce Foundation
Program Committee Chair
2023 AAS Annual Conference
Proposal Preparation in Three Steps:
1. DECIDE ON YOUR PROPOSAL TYPE/FORMAT
- Proposal Types: Review this Call for Proposals and the information regarding the four (4) proposal submission types - Organized Panel, Roundtables, Workshops, or Individual Papers.
- Presentation Format: All presenters on sessions must agree to one presentation format either in-person presentations or virtual. The session may only be presented in one format. This decision will determine if the session will be scheduled to take place during the annual conference virtual component on February 17-18, or at the in-person conference in Boston, March 16-19.
- Participation/application policies: Review the requirements of each proposal type, including the minimum/maximum number of participants, abstract word counts, etc. New! The AAS is now offering individuals the opportunity to participate in two sessions and is changing our long-standing one-appearance rule. Below are the parameters:
- An individual may participate in more than one session (two max) in the roles of chair and/or discussant; BUT
- An individual may present only one (1) paper at the annual conference.
- General Submission Information
- Diversity requirements: Review the AAS diversity and inclusion submission guidelines to ensure your preparations and final submitted proposal meet the AAS conference standards.
2. PREPARE SUBMISSION MATERIALS
- Develop individual paper/presentation abstracts based on the submission requirements. If submitting an organized panel proposal, the organizer is responsible for collecting and submitting ALL data and information from session proposal participants including paper titles/abstracts, names, and contact information for each participant on the session.
- If applying for the AAS International Exchange Travel Grant on behalf of a participant, review the information to ensure the participant qualifies for this travel grant.
- Have questions? Find answers at our CFP Frequently Asked Questions section.
3. SUBMIT YOUR APPLICATION BY THE POSTED DEADLINE - AUGUST 9, 2022
- Do not wait until August 9 to begin the submission process. You may begin the process and save a partially completed application. Once you save your work, edits can be made any time before August 9 at 5pm Eastern time.
- Click the Begin a Submission button for the relevant submission type on this page in the right column.
- Questions? Confused? Contact the AAS at AASConference@asianstudies.org
- Sit back and relax while the Program Committee carefully reviews and evaluates the submissions.
For help in submitting an abstract online, Contact technical support.